Men’s soccer wins second straight conference game with shutout

The Fort Hays State University men’s soccer team (4-3-1, 2-2 Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association) gets their second win at home this week on Saturday, Sept. 25 by defeating the Southwest Baptist Bearcats (0-9-0, 0-4 MIAA), 5-0. The Bearcats were coming into this game looking for big road win to try and break their eight game losing streak. The Tigers came into the game full of confidence after an 8-0 win over conference powerhouse Lindenwood.

The Tigers came out strong against the Bearcats, having multiple chances to put the ball into the net, but with no success. Southwest Baptist had their first chance of scoring when they had a free kick right outside the middle of the box at the 24 minute mark; however, the SBU player kicked the ball directly into the wall of tigers standing 15 yards in front of him.

The Tigers continued their control of the game, finally getting their first goal at the 31 minute mark by Michael Cole, Round Rock, TX junior, scoring from the left side of the box by rolling the ball past the goalkeeper into the left side of the net. Tanner Brock, Windfield senior, assisting the play which hoisted the Tigers to a 1-0 lead.

Punching in the Tigers second goal was Anthony Hernandez, Oklahoma City, OK sophomore, 30 seconds before the end of the first half. Assisting Hernandez were Tobias Patino, Asuncion, Paraguay freshman, and Joe Albright, Winfield junior. Patino dribbled the ball up the field passing to Albright who quickly passed to Hernandez scoring from the middle of the box. The Tigers were up 2-0 after the Hernandez goal.

Maurizio Costa, Asuncion, Paraguay freshman, scored the Tiger’s third goal after the assist from Austin Clifton, Wichita junior. Clifton’s original shot was deflected by the SBU goalkeeper and Costa was right there ready getting the one touch goal.

Ten minutes later Costa and Clifton switch roles and Clifton punched in the Tiger’s fourth goal of the day. The assists coming from Costa and Diego Cabral, Asuncion, Paraguay senior. Costa Setting up the play from the far side, crosses the ball over to a waiting Cabral. Cabral one touch passes to Clifton in the middle of the box who then shoots the ball past a diving SBU goalkeeper and into the left side of the net. Still no answer to the Tigers offense, the Bearcats go down 4-0.

The Tigers last goal comes from Joe Albright at 65:33 mark. Assisting Albright was Brock and Hernandez. Brock having the ball on the left side crosses the ball to the right where Hernandez retrieves it. Hernandez crosses the ball back to Albright which then slips the ball past the out of position SBU goalkeeper’s face and into the left side of the net. The Tigers now ending the game 5-0.

The Tigers controlled pretty much the whole game allowing the Bearcats only three total shots and no shots on the goal, while the Tigers posted up 19 shots with 11 of them being on target. The Tiger defense had another great game, helping goalkeeper Kent Freund, Garland, TX senior, get another shut out. This gives him three on the season. Seven different tigers were able to get assist. While, Tanner Brock lead them with two.

Five different players scored in the Tiger’s second straight shutout win this week. The Tigers outscored their opponents 13-0 in the two games. Cole led the way for the Tigers with three goals in the two games, while Hernandez’s three assists were good for a team best.

“We just need to stay focused. We really did everything well this week. We scored goals, we created goals, and we were very good defensively. So it’s just the basics, making sure were sharp and still getting better and not getting complacent,” said Parker

Head Coach Brett Parker enjoying the way his players have played this last week looks forward to their next game Thursday against a non-conference West Texas A&M before returning home next Saturday for a three game home stretch starting with Harding.

%d bloggers like this: