Women’s soccer falls to Bearcats


Fort Hays State finished on the short end of a double-overtime match at FHSU Soccer Stadium on Sunday (Oct. 10) against Northwest Missouri State. The Bearcats scored the golden goal in the 105th minute, moving to 7-4-1 overall and 3-1-1 in the MIAA. The Tigers are now 4-5-3 overall and 1-4 in the MIAA.

Alex Mausbach netted the game-winning goal for the Bearcats in the second overtime period. Northwest Missouri State worked its way into the box and Fort Hays State had trouble clearing the ball. After a bit of a scramble by both teams to control the ball, Kaylie Rock found Mausbach on the right side of the box who ended the scoreless tie.

Fort Hays State had its share of chances in the match and most of their good shot opportunities were blocked by a timely defender getting in the way of the ball. Amanda Rapaduski had a strong shot attempt from outside the top of the box in the 81st minute that was punched up over the top of the goal by NWMSU keeper Ashley Williams. The teams combined for only 14 shots in the match, the Bearcats holding an 8-6 edge.

FHSU goalkeeper Deonna Wellbrock had three saves and Ashley Williams of NWMSU had two.

The Tigers now prepare for their next five matches on the road. Next week they travel to Missouri to take on Central Missouri Friday (Oct. 15) and Missouri Southern Sunday (Oct. 17).


Fort Hays State fell to Missouri Western in Hays on Friday evening (Oct. 8) by a final score of 1-0. After a scoreless first half, the Griffons were able to take advantage of a mistake by the Tiger defense near the goal and broke the scoreless tie midway through the second half. The Tigers are now 4-4-3 (1-3 MIAA) and the Griffons improved to 6-3-2 (3-1 MIAA).

The Griffons notched their goal in the 58th minute as Jaden Skinner found herself in the right place at the right time. The ball was not properly cleared by the Tiger defense and it fell right in front of Skinner who put the ball into the unguarded net. The two teams took the same number of shots in the first half, but the Griffons put up 11 shots in the second half to take the shot battle 16-8 overall. Keeper Deonna Wellbrock and MWSU keeper Anna Mayer both recorded five saves in the match.

Sound Off!

%d bloggers like this: