House fire affects FHSU students

In Hays, last week, a large house fire took the possessions of a few students at Fort Hays State University.

Ken Moreno, Spring Lake, N.C. senior, was affected by the fire and lost several items.

“I lost a significant amount of studio equipment; guitars, bass, drums, and a plethora of antique instruments,” Moreno said.

A few other items owned by Moreno that were lost in the fire included items, such as: a full recording studio, guitars, a bass guitar, four amps (including one 62-inch Vox amplifier, which was vintage and very expensive), instruments that Moreno had purchased from antique stores throughout Hays and some surrounding areas, clothes, and furniture.

Despite his loss, Moreno feels glad that the majority of his items can be replaced and while a personal tragedy for Moreno, the fire can be an example for FHSU about being prepared for unexpected life events.

“Honestly, it goes to show that materialistic items don’t last forever,” Moreno said.

Moreno had renter’s insurance for a few items that were still in his vehicle, as he had returned home from the previous week’s DJ events. However, his items in the house were not insured and almost a complete loss.

According to Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, the average cost for renter’s insurance is about $12 per month for $30,000 worth of property coverage and $100,000 of liability coverage. Installing protective devices, like smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, in a home can lower a renter’s insurance premium as well. Deductibles for renter’s insurance can range from $500 to $2,000, however, the lower the deductible, the higher the premium.

Even though he lost several items in the fire, Moreno continues to keep a respectable attitude about the event.

“Some may say I’m still in shock, because I haven’t freaked out. But it’s very liberating to have your things burn in front of you and to be left with nothing. Long story short, it’s just stuff,” Moreno said.

Moreno was using the home as a storage place and home for his studio. Due to the fire, he will have move the equipment he has now to another area. He said he will continue to work as a DJ at various events in order to create funds for a new studio and equipment.

The approximate cost of damages for Moreno’s possessions is $4,500.

Sound Off!